Monday, November 23, 2009

Awfulness is a black hole composed entirely of dark matter

Last week, there was a day of awfulness. This day was November 18th, now known as "Wicked Wednesday". So many awful things happened to me this day, that they couldn't all fit in oen day, and so one of them spilled over into the next day.

The things that happened (in order):
- I woke up feeling awful with a cold
- many babies who made appointments did not show up
- the one baby that did make it in was really fussy and had an awful time, which makes us all empathize and feel awful too
- a paper I submitted for publication was rejected **(GRRR!!)**
- a dance performance I was scheduled to go to the next day was canceled
- my car was towed and impounded ***(HOLY @&#%ING GRRR!!!)***

I actually did not find out about the car impounding until the next day (Twisted Thursday), but it was actually towed on Wicked Wednesday. Please, don't ask me any questions about the car. All you need to know is that it was a silly error on my part, and it hardly seems fair, but it happened anyway.

Why did all of this happen? Well, after thinking about it, I may have come up with an explanation. My dear friend Meredith Meyer defended her dissertation on Thursday (which, for her, was actually Terrific Thursday). Bridget and I had made her a gift package/card, and mailed it on Monday. In this package, I made a card with a Dragon on it, and sent Meredith "the luck of the Dragon". I now realize that this was the source of my woes. Sending Meredith the luck of the Dragon indeed imbued her with the felicity of 1,000 men, but this luck had to come from somewhere. I believe I was depleted of all luck, and possibly others around the world were as well. With none of my own luck, misfortune could send her barbarous arrows my way and I would stand defenseless. Alas, it was all for a good cause, as Meredith is now a doctor, my bad luck has passed, and I still have my health.

But, this week should make up for all of the awfulness! I am heading down to Eugene Wednesday morning for American Thanksgiving (it's just like ours, except they do it on a different day!). Bridget is flying into Eugene on Tuesday night, so we will have an extended vacation together in our old hometown. I already miss the Eug, so it will be good to be back, and it is so nice to be able to see Bridget again for a four day weekend.

As a sign that this week is already better, I also received a birthday package in the mail today from the one, the only, Greg "The Bone" Toller! The package was filled with many delights, including terrible movies, crappy stickers, a homemade Mutorcs doll (you can rip him in half or rip his head off), and many other wondrous things. Thanks Bone! By the way, do you have a baby yet? A one word answer will suffice, a sentence is appropriate, and paragraph is welcome, but a document is out of the question.

It is wonderful to still have friends like The Bone from high school. They help me remember my past, and are just darn incredible people. As an example, Greg also found a great website for me, which has graphics from one of the best game franchises ever created, Mortal Kombat. I will share some with you tonight. My teenage years came effectively be summed up with these (and some other) graphics:










3 comments:

  1. Dammit! All of those graphics were supposed to be animated gifs. I picked them all out for their animations! Damn. Maybe some of the luck of the Dragon is still with you after all, Meredith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no baby yet. Only five days late at this point.

    Also, Greg made me watch Midnight Neat Train the other night.

    I hope that you can make it through tomorrow (Wednesday) with only good things happening!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete