Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I was in Disneyland when I turned 30

The last we spoke, I was 29. Now, I am 30. It happened in Disneyland.

This past Friday, I flew down to SD to visit my wife and celebrate my birthday. But, since my birthday was on Tuesday, I had to stay extra long. I did not get home until today! I can do this because I have an awesome job right now, and can take time off whenever I like.

But why did I need to be in San Diego for my birthday? Sure, I love my wife and wanted to celebrate with her, but couldn't we have just celebrated on the weekend instead? Well, we could have, but then I wouldn't have gotten into Disneyland for FREE.

That right! FREE DISNEYLAND ADMISSION on my birthday! An opportunity too good to pass up, especially because they only have that deal for this year. Surely, they must have known I was turning 30 in 2009!

However, while my actual birthday was on Tuesday, the festivities started on Saturday. Let me tell you a tale.

On Saturday night we went out for some Korean barbecue, bowling, and karaoke. Although this sounds like a perfect celebration for me, it was actually to celebrate Bridget's co-intern and friend Denise's successful PhD defense! Korean barbecue is pretty fun - I ate 7 different kinds of animals.


Bowling was awesome too - I won the game for my lane (I am not that good: Our group had two lanes going, and I would not have beat the winner of the other lane). And as expected, the karaoke was fantastic. Bridget dragged me up for "Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard" by Simon and Garfunkle. That was tough for me, since I didn't know the words, really, but super-fun, of course. I sang "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol (again, it's my favourite!). Bridget told me specifically that I did really well, which may mean something? Or not. Here is a picture of Bridget and the girls singing "Heaven is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle. I am glad she has such fun friends down there:


On Sunday, I got to enjoy one of my birthday presents from Bridget - a new bike! Bridget bought a functional bike for me to use when in SD, that we will sell when the year is out. What a thoughtful wife I have! This allowed us to go on an awesome bike trip together on Sunday afternoon around Coronado Island, which was really fun:



OK, now to the really really good stuff: my actual birthday! On Monday night we drove up to Anaheim and stayed the night at a Best Western. It had a hot tub. In the morning - my birthday!!! - Bridget gave me a super-awesome wickedly-creative present: a personalized shirt of Koshka (my favourite picture of her, wearing a sailor hat) with one of my favourite book quotes: "I really like this cornflakes thing you have, man. You know?" The pairing of the two is unquestionably perfect! What a sweet wife I have :)


Disneyland was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! It was pretty similar to Disneyworld, but also unique. Space Mountain was done up all special-like for Halloween, and was called Ghost Galaxy - it was great, though pretty turbulent! Raymond, I now know what you mean about age and roller coasters - I was feelin' it! We went on Splash Mountain twice - it really is the best ride there, hands down. The Winnie the Pooh ride was bizarre and crazy psychedelic. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was similarly incredibly wild! I could go on and on like this like a 3-year-old with all of the tales, but I will let these pictures try to sum it up:





Bridget and I also kicked ass on Buzz Lightyear, but I did better than her:


At around 5:00 the park shut down - some kind of private event! But whatevs, we were all done anyhow (though we did want to go on Indiana Jones again...). Anyway, we had a nice pizza dinner and drove home (San Diego is home I guess?). Being the super-sweetie that she is, Bridget insisted we get some kind of cake on the way home (it wouldn't feel like a birthday without), and we managed to find this crackerjack of a cupcake:


When we got back, I had all sorts of birthday e-cards and Facebook birthday wishes from my wonderful family and friends. I am a lucky man, even if I am old!

And finally, when I got home today, I had even more birthday surprises: Brandon's customary birthday phone message song, a card from Meredith, and a musical card from my Dad and Steff! My very first musical card. Dad, you rock.

Also, my Dad told me today that he really enjoys reading my blog, and in telling me this made an off-hand remark about how he doesn't know where I got such good writing skills. Apparently he forgets that he earned a PhD???

All in all, an AWESOME birthday was had. I AM 30! DISNEYLAND RULES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment