However, the town itself seemed devoid of people, save for the touristy parts of town. Maybe everybody lives in the suburbs? Also, I have heard from Americans that Texans would are overly-friendly and chatty. I did not find this to be the case. I felt chattier than the average Texan. Am I a Texan-Canadian?
Meredith and I skipped out on the morning talks Saturday and took a stroll over to the Alamo. The Alamo is very pretty! The grounds have been developed into a very nice garden, complete with Pecan trees and giant cacti. The inside isn't really very interesting at all, unless you want to see many varieties of Bowie knives (those things are huge!). View:
The conference itself was fun, and invigourating! I felt totally different being there as an actual DOCTOR. I never would have thought it would matter, but it does. I felt more confident and excited about my research than ever before. Yay!
Tonight, I watched "Gymkata". Strange title? It is a hybridization of gymnastics and karate, which serves as the whole basis for this epically strange film. Gymkata stars Kurt Thomas - a REAL Olympic gymnast - as a secret agent who has to help the US develop a Star Wars defense base in the remote made-up country of Parmistan (sic). How will he achieve this? By winning a deadly Mortal Kombat-esque tournament! Search for the trailer on Youtube if you want to know more.
This movie is so bad, it prompted me to create a new category of movie: W-movie. W stands for weird. And no, not weird in the David Lynch this-makes-no-frigging-sense surreal sense. Weird in that it is hard to fathom how an individual or set of individuals would actually be able to create a movie so epically bad and not realize how bad it actually was. In essence, the movie itself isn't strange, it is the intention behind its creation that is unfathomable. W-movies, are, of course, my favourite kind of movie. I am attracted to real bizzareness.

I thought you were going to show us some Bowie knives...
ReplyDeleteI thought Texan-Canadians were from Alberta?
ReplyDeleteHey Jeff, I finally got caught up on your blog news! San Antonio looks pretty nice. I'm hoping to visit Texas someday soon, but of course not until after I visit Seattle!
ReplyDelete