Over the weekend, Emily and Karen and I scared and laughed ourselves silly with the movie "Teenage Mother".
I rented this film because I saw the trailer online, and thought it looked hilarious. It looked like one of those morality movies intended to scare kids straight, like Reefer Madness. From the trailer, you get the impression that it's about a pretty darn promiscuous teenage girl having premarital sex who ends up getting pregnant.
However, this movie is not actually about that at all. In fact, the girl does not even get pregnant! It's sort of actually about the importance of teaching sex education to teenagers, for parents. Sort of. Actually, it's really actually hard to figure out what they were trying to do with that movie. Near the end, however, there is very disturbing real footage of a baby being ripped out with forceps, though. Truly horrific.
What is really mind-boggling about this film is the disconnect between the trailer and the film. I really, really recommend watching the trailer to this film, just because it is absolutely hilarious in and of itself. Watch it here.
For those of you who do watch, here are some interesting things. First, she does not get pregnant, so that shot of her fully pregnant in an orange sweater is not real. Second, she is not promiscuous in the film, so all of the voice-over dialogue in the ad of her saying things like "I know how to make all the boys hot" is not in the film, the scene of her in her underwear is not in the film, the scene of her dancing in front of the mirror is not in the film (supposedly getting ready to have sex with the truck driver, which does not happen in the film), the scene of her making out with that boy is not in the film (in fact he is not in the film). Finally, something else which is not in the film, but which baffles me to virtually no end, is the fried chicken scene. I cannot fathom why this is in the ad. Is this supposed to be "sexy" or something? How in the world is eating fried chicken like a caveman sexy?? Why would you film this ever?! Aaaah!!!
But perhaps the best things about the ad is this awesome soundbyte: "TEENAGE MOTHER! MEETS NINE-MONTHS OF TROUBLE!"
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So, we wondered the other night whether the trailer was meant to trick kids into watching a nice, moral film by appearing slutty. What if it's REALLY meant to trick uptight parents into watching a counter-culture sex ed film by appearing moral??? They think "Oh, this is how I'll keep Wilma Jean from giving it up" without having to actually discuss sex with her, but really they get tricked into a lesson about the value of talking to kids about sex! So very sneaky!!!
ReplyDeleteAmazing! Did your rental also come with the promised "brief lecture on how to use our bodies"? Or was that another unfulfilled promise of the trailer? :)
ReplyDeleteEmily: an excellent theory! Very meta-meta.
ReplyDeleteKristi: Another unfulfilled promise! I still don't know how to use this thing, dammit!
I think she and I have the same doctor!
ReplyDelete