Sunday, August 8, 2010

Extra Stupid

Well, it's been a while, eh? I haven't posted in over a month. Needless to say, life was busy with Bridget's immigration to Seattle and all. But, don't worry, the blog WILL NOT PERISH! I've wanted to post for a while, but always ended up thinking "Oh, I don't have the time - it will take too long to post about all of the stuff that's happened!" But that is a stupid thought. So, I will post tonight about a very stupid thing that I did to myself yesterday.

Bridget and I had some marshmallows in the house, from a failed attempt to roast them over a fire at Golden Gardens the weekend before. Bridget really wanted to roast some, so she got a fork and started roasting them over our gas stove. I should point out, that this is the same Bridget who was warning me about how easy it is to severely burn oneself, after starting her new job at the hospital (and the burn unit!). Anyway, she roasted one and ate it, I roasted one and at it, etc. I decided I wanted to get one REALLY well toasted by slowly toasting it: an act of dedicated patience. When it was done, it was perfect - most of it came right off the fork as sugary-melted goodness. A little solid centre was left on the fork though, and so I showed it to Bridget, and then excitedly clamped my mouth down over the fork to slide it off. But guess what?! The fork was EXTREMELY HOT! I actually heard a little singing sound as it touched my lips. It really hurt a lot. Bridget was laughing at first, until I informed her how much pain I was in, and showed her my lips. At that point, she was simultaneously very concerned and extemely amused, because I looked like this:


Yup, burns on my lip in the pattern of the fork tines. I was really annoyed for a while, but it turns out mouth burns heal really fast - it's nearly gone today, in fact. I was worried I would have a lot of explaining to do on Monday at work, but it looks like no one has to know.

And, one good thing that came out of this was that we now know that the denture ice cubes (made with the denture ice cube tray that Allison gave me) work really well for mouth burns!

1 comment:

  1. Be careful up there in Seattle!!! You know what?! It works really well to toast marshmallows in the toaster oven - make sure to use the little toaster oven tray though. Oh, and don't leave them in there too long...otherwise the fire alarm might go off and the house might smell funny for a while.

    ReplyDelete